Friday, June 13, 2008

Confidence boost.

I've never really had a high self-esteem.
I mean, my parents and friends always told me that I was beautiful...
but I guess I just never really saw it.

Well lately, I've been getting better.

I used to find things wrong with me

Oh, I have a big nose.
Oh, my hair sucks.
My teeth are TERRIBLE.

It got to the point where I compared myself to other girls. I was never happy with the way I looked. I was always changing something: my hair color, my hair style, my clothes style...

It got to be too much...and too expensive.
Fitting in is not worth it.

I have my own style now. My hair is back to my natural color, and it's healthy looking. I'm done trying to be something I'm not. I'm not preppy. I like what I like; it's not strictly one look.

Most importantly, I've stopped comparing myself to other girls. I've accepted that I may not be perfect, but I'm beautiful in my own way. Maybe not by society's standards...
but I don't really care anymore.

I don't really know what brought on this newfound confidence. I guess I can call it my own little revolution. I guess I just realized that there are more important things in life. I don't need to fit in to find friends; I already have the best I could ask for.

And they like me for who I am.
What matters is that I fit in with them.


Today, I worked at Marley Station Mall for Saturn as a favor for my dad
and it was surprisingly fun.
I wasn't wearing anything particularly attractive: just a jean skirt and a oversized Saturn collared shirt...

Well I had more than a few guys ask for my number [I didn't give it out.]
and a couple asked if I had a boyfriend. [Of course I told them I did.]

I was kind of shocked. I mean, I was just handing out flyers. There were tons of girls around me that had actually taken the time to pick out their outfits and style their hair

yet, these guys weren't talking to them.
They were talking to a girl standing behind a table begging people to register for a raffle.

It was a major confidence boost.

--Sami

No comments: